Mariposa Plum | Mariposa Fruit
Mariposa plums are glossy green with maroon speckles. Mariposa plum is larger than most other plum varieties. They are a delightful treat with their near freestone pit and soft flesh.
The slightly maroon speckles over light green skin clearly identify the Mariposa Plum from other varieties. It is popular for jams and sauces because of its color but most people like its flavor.
This plum variety is mostly enjoyed ripe and fresh; however, it can be mixed with other summer treats for a nice fruit salad, or even atop a cool summer dessert.
Mariposa plum is a large-sized plum with nearly freestone flesh and a small pit. The skin is glossy-green in color mottled with maroon. The red flesh is sweet, juicy, firm and delicious with pleasantly tart skin.
Plums are the second most cultivated fruit in the world. In Japan, February is the month for plums; there are plum blossoms everywhere. Plum trees are grown on every continent except Antarctica. The Chinese believe plums symbolize good fortune.
Health Benefits Of Mariposa Plums
The health benefits of plums include relief from indigestion, influenza infection, and anxiety-related problems. The antioxidant power of plums helps in treating ailments.
Plums are a rich source of vitamin C, which helps develops resistance against infectious agents, inflammation and free radicals in the body. Some studies have revealed that plums help prevent cancer, especially cancers of the breast, gastrointestinal and respiratory tract. They are not only good for health, but also for hair & skin.
Nutrition In Mariposa Plums
The sweet-sour fruit is rich in vitamin C, K, copper, dietary fiber and potassium, while being quite low on calories, with 100 grams of plums containing 46 calories and absolutely no saturated fats.
- Plums only have 46 calories per 100 g, contain no saturated fats and are full of minerals and vitamins.
- Plums help increase the absorption of iron into the body, which may be due to the fact that they are a good source of vitamin C.
- They are also a good source of vitamin K, copper, dietary fiber and potassium.
- A medium fresh plum contains 113 mg of potassium that helps manage high blood pressure and reduce the risk of stroke.
Storage Of Mariposa Plums
- Store plums at room temperature to ripen, check frequently because they are extremely perishable.
- A ripe fruit will yield when pressed gently. To speed up the ripening process, place plums in a paper bag and store at room temperature, away from direct sunlight.
- Storing ripe plums in a plastic bag in the crisper drawer will prolong their eating life — they should keep for 3 to 5 days.
Usage Of Mariposa Fruit
Best eaten fresh as a fruit or snack. These also make for a great addition to salads or can be used in the preparation of pie, desserts, jams and jellies. They can also be used in a variety of recipes and are usually baked or poached.
Mariposa Plum Tree
Mariposa plum trees grow large, sweet plums with a rich, aromatic flavor. The Mariposa plums are juicy with red flesh surrounding a small pit, nearly freestone. The skin of Mariposa plum is mottled maroon over green. Good fresh or cooked. Very low chill. Santa Rosa plum trees are good for pollinating. For further information on the Mariposa plum see below for assistance selecting this heirloom plum tree for sale.