• When it comes to the culture of Uttarakhand, Tor ki Dal is an indispensable item on the menu, be it a wedding or any special occasion.
• Compared to other seasonal pulses of the mountains, Tor is cultivated in relatively lesser quantities. Hence, there is a tradition of saving some Tor from the season in your house for special guests.
• Tor ki dal is popularly savoured with Bhat (rice).
• ‘Tor ki dal ke Paranthe’ is a greatly loved Pahadi breakfast and has now become quite popular amongst non-Pahadi people as well.
• Tor is different from Toor Dal (Arhar) as it is primarily cultivated only in the Himalayan belt.
• To naturally preserve our pulses and lend them longevity we coat them with organic turmeric powder.